Flights – Where to Book & Who to Fly
Depending on where you’re travelling from you’ll find that flying to South Africa is pretty easy as long as you don’t have too many connections. We’ve provided some information to help make your homework easier when making those bookings.
Flying To South Africa
On average travelling from Europe to Cape Town is around 12 hours long.
Can you fly direct to South Africa?
Yes you can you just need to pick your airline carefully.
Which Airlines offer direct flights to South Africa?
- British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and South African Airways offer direct flights to Cape Town and other airlines usually do a short stop over in Johannesburg.
- SAA and British Airlines offer the most direct flights from the UK.
- Lufthansa and SAA offer direct flights from Frankfurt and Munich in Germany to Johannesburg, as well as, direct flights to Cape Town during the summer months.
- The USA only offers direct flights from Delta Airlines in Atlanta and SAA in Washington and New York.
- Australia offers direct flights to Johannesburg from Sydney with Qantas and from Perth with SAA.
For more information on direct flights, you will find excellent information on Air travel in South Africa here. Travelling from Europe to Cape Town is also a good option if you suffer from jet lag. There is only a 1-hour time difference between London and Cape Town during the summer months and during the rest of the year London is 2 hours ahead.
What are the cheapest months to fly to South Africa?
May to September is South Africa’s winter season. This is the cheapest time of year to travel to South Africa, but also the best time of year to see some wild animals and do some whale watching. South Africa is super famous for Whale watching as the Southern Right Whales choose to come to our shores in the cooler months to mate, give birth and feed.
Flying Within South Africa
- The main airlines for domestic flights are
- All of them are reliable airlines so ultimately it will come down to who provides you with the cheapest price.
- Be sure to check in at least 2 – 3 hours before departure or even better, make use of the online check in facilities 24 hours before departure. This will help to avoid long queues at the airport.
- You will need to board at least 1 hour before departure.
How long does it take to fly to South Africa, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban or any other destination?
Flight-time Calculator calculates the flight distance and the required flight time for any location and from any airport in the world.
List of the Top Airlines to Fly to South Africa
One of the top sites to search for prices and get tickets is Travelstart and would save you a lot of time.
- British Airways
- Air Namibia
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- SAA – South African Airways
- Air France
- Swiss Airlines
- Virgin Airlines
Seating: What is the best seat to choose on a plane?
Have you ever needed to ask questions like these below?
Which is the best seat in economy class?
What seat is best on an airplane?
Which airline has most comfortable economy seats?
How can I find out what plane I will be flying on?
The answer is SeatGuru: The ultimate source for airplane seating, in-flight amenities, flights shopping and airline information. Contact GS Africa today for any more information or queries and we would love to be of assistance to ensure that you motorcycle rental or bike travel experience is as smooth and hassle-free as possible.
GS Africa Travel Guide Home – Back to Main
Click here to go back to the GS Africa Travel Guide Main Page