Visas & South Africa – Do I Need a Visa to Visit South Africa?
Table of Contents
Most Import things to Remember
Find out more about the visa requirements to travel to and in South Africa.
- All visitors must hold a passport valid for 1 month after departure and with one blank page (two if a visa is required).
- You need to have a return ticket.
Visa Exemptions – Countries that don’t need a visa for a specified time.
Nationals of the following countries can enter South Africa without a visa
90 Days Visa Exemption
Nationals who hold valid national passports of the following 48 countries/territories are not required to obtain South African visas for visits of up to 90 days.
30 days Visa Exemption
Citizens who hold valid national passports of the following 28 countries/territories are not required to obtain South African visas for visits of up to 30 days:
VISA Required – When You Must Get a Visa
You will need a passport to enter South Africa, if you intend to stay for longer than your exemption period, if you don’t have a passport for any of the above mentioned countries, if you intend to work, study, partake in sports events or intend to take up permanent residency in South Africa.
Visa types – What Types of Visa’s are Issued by South Africa
Visas issued by South Africa are for:
- Tourism or visits to family or friends
- Medical treatment
- Working in the entertainment industry
- Attending a conference
- Treaty conditions compliance
- Maritime crew
- Cultural, economic and social exchange programmes
Temporary residence visas issued by South Africa are:
- Business visas
- Work visas
- Quota work visas
- General work visas
- Critical skills work visa
- Intra-company Transfer Work visa
- Corporate visas
- Study visas
- Exchange visas
- Retired persons’ visa
- Relatives’ visa
- Medical Treatment visa
Overstay consequences – What will happen if I overstay my Visa Period?
According to the amended South African Immigration Act 13 of 2002, foreign nationals overstaying the expiry of their South African visas will be determined “undesirable” and, consequently, face being banned from the Republic for a period of up to 5 years.
Useful Visa Sources & Contacts
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_South_Africa
- Countries exempt: http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/countries-exempt-from-sa-visas
- Foreign Travel Advice to South Africa: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa
- General Visa Information: http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/types-of-visas
- South African High Commission: https://www.sahc.org.au/
- South African Representation Abroad: https://www.dirco.gov.za/south-african-representation-abroad/
- Applying for SA Visa: http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/applying-for-sa-visa
- Types of Temporary Residency Visas: http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/immigration-services/types-of-temporary-permits
Contact GS Africa today for any more information or queries and we would love to be of assistance to ensure that you motorcycle rental or bike travel experience is as smooth and hassle-free as possible.